The second station on this site, the original station was designed by John Benson and remains to the west of the existing building. Externally itwas intended to have a classical portico on a nine bay central projection with five bays either side terminating with triumphal arches. This was never built and a much truncated version was built of Benson’s design was completed.
In 1893 it was intended to link together the Cobh and Dublin lines, and a new station was built alongside. Externally unremarkable, it features a wide curving railway shed behind.