Architect: Herbert Gribble
Chosen after an architectural competition, The Building News and the British Architect were generally critical of Herbert Gribbles chosen design, who was only 29 when he won the competition. The foundation stone was laid in June 1880; and the new church was consecrated on 16 April 1884. The dome was completed in 1895, standing 200 feet (61 m) tall and is the second largest Roman Catholic church in London, after Westminster Cathedral (1903).
It houses 12 statues of the apostles by Giuseppe Mazzuoli (1644-1725) acquired from Siena Cathedral in 1895. The interior decoration is by C.T.G. Formilli, an Italian architect and completed 1927-32, the cost exceeding his estimate of £31,000.