Elevations & Section for Gateshead Union. Published in The Building News, June 4th 1897. In 1896 the Gateshead Union began the construction of a cottage homes site, intended to remove pauper children to accommodation that was free from the ‘workhouse taint’. The boys’ cottages were given the names of trees and the girls’ homes those of flowers. Each home housed a “family” group of fifteen to twenty children looked after by a house mother. A total of 120 boys and 90 girls children could eventually be accommodated at the site which was also known as the Medomsley Cottage Homes.