Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright
This was the Wright family residence from 1889 to 1909. Wright began the construction of this house in 1889 shortly after his marriage, using $5,000 borrowed from Louis Sullivan. The Wright family – Frank and Catherine, and their six children – lived here while he developed his architectural practice, creating what became the “Prairie Style” of architecture. Wright’s home was always in transition because he remodeled as his design theories changed.
The home and studio are known not so much for their architectural prowess as for housing the family and office of Frank Lloyd Wright in his early years. Originally, the room at the front of the house on the second floor served as his drafting room, until the completion of the Studio Annex in 1898. In 1895, Wright added the two story polygonal Bay on the south side. The buildings were restored between 1976 and 1986 by the Restoration Committee of the Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio Foundation.