Architect: Michael Power
Templetown has received its name from the Kinights Templar, a brotherhood of monastic warriors originating during the crusades in the Holy Land. When the Anglo-Normans under Strongbow added Ireland to their property portfolio the military orders soon followed. Henry II of England swore to provide for 200 Templars after the murder of St. Thomas a Beckett – and in 1172 gave away wide stretches of Ireland to fulfil this promise. The Manor of Kilcloggan, basically the whole southern end of the Hook Peninsula, fell to the order.