1899 – Victoria Library, Newcastle upon Tyne
“This is a branch library, erected in Heaton Park at the expense of Alderman W. H. Stephenson, J.P., who has been three times Mayor of Newcastle, as a memorial of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The plans explain the accommodation. The lower story is built of rubble stone, sneckfaced and chiselled dressings. The upper story is of brick, faced with special-made Penshaw bricks. The roofs are covered with brindled tiles. The interior woodwork is all of canary wood, with green oil stain. The heating is by radiators, with low-pressure steam, and has been carried out by Messrs. Ashwell and Nesbit, Ltd. Messrs. J. and W. Lowry were the general contractors, and carried out the work from the designs of Mr. John W. Dyson, M.S.A., architect, of Newcastle.” Published in The Building News, July 28 1899.