1901 – House for an Art Lover, Glasgow
The House for an Art Lover was designed in 1901 by Charles Rennie Mackintosh with his wife, Margaret MacDonald. The house was originally designed for a competition to produce a ‘House for an Art Lover’, set by a German design magazine. Despite disqualification due to late entry, the portfolio was awarded a prize for “pronounced personal quality, novel and austere form and the uniform configuration of interior and exterior”.
Construction began in 1989 and the house was finally opened to the public in 1996. Rooms within the house have been created by contemporary artists following Mackintosh’s original designs, with original portfolio designs displayed in each room to allow comparisons.