1907 – Bangor Free Library, Wales

Architect: Dixon & Potter


Opened in 1907 after an architectural competition in 1906. Funded with a grant from Andrew Carnegie who provided £2,500. There is a copper tablet in the library foyer commemorating the gift from Carnegie: “This library has been erected by the corporation of Bangor for the free use of the inhabitants of the City. Towards the cost of the building Andrew Carnegie Esquire Contributed the sum of £2,500 and the sum of £500 was allocated from Capt John Jones legacy. The building was formally opened by the Rt. Hon. Lord Penrhyn on the 8th day of November 1907 and this tablet was unveiled on the same day by Alderman W P Matthews: Chairman of the Museum: Bye-Laws and General Purposes Committee.”

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com