1912 – AIB, South Mall, Cork

Architect: Arthur & Henry H. Hill




Distinctive and imposing bank building on a prominent site, in the main financial district of Cork. Built as a head office for the Munster and Leinster Bank, and now a branch of Allied Irish Banks after a series of mergers in the 1960.

The building has a fine range of Ionic columns across the upper storeys of the fa├žade, and has a setback attic storey with ballustrade. The two ends of the building feature carved representations of the Munster and Leinster crests on the attic storey, but are minus the sculptural groups originally designed for them.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com