1914 – Tribune Building, Smith St., Winnipeg
In 1914 a new building for the Winnipeg Tribune newspaper company was designed by leading local architect John D. Atchison. Unusually for the time, it was decorated with 14 gargoyles, each different and symbolic of the newspaper trade. They were dressed in medieval clothing, and posed so that they leaned over passersby on the sidewalks six storeys below. In the late 1960s, the exterior of the building was stripped of much of the terra cotta decoration including the gargoyles and a simplified facade fitted. It is believed that most of the gargoyles are in private hands today, with at least two in public museums. Demolished 1983. Site still empty today.