Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1932 – Qwest Building, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Architects: Hewitt & Brown

Qwest_Building_lge

Qwest_Building2_lgeQwest_Building2_lgeQwest_Building2_lgeQwest_Building2_lgeQwest_Building2_lge

Designed by Rhodes Robertson of the Minneapolis firm of Hewitt & Brown, the Qwest Building is characteristic of American skyscraper design between the world wars, with subdued horizontal lines and an emphasized verticality. This effect is amplified by the dull-finish aluminum covering the spandrels between the tops and bottoms of all windows, resulting in light and dark vertical stripes which give an upward movement to the design. Previously known as the Northwestern Bell Building, it originally stood 346 feet tall, but grew to 416 feet with the addition of the rooftop antenna structure/penthouse in 1958, to the designs of Magney, Tusler & Setter.