1935 – Sinclairs Department Store, Royal Avenue, Belfast

Architect: James Scott



A fine building, developed as a department store in the 1930s and opposite the Bank of Ireland, Sinclairs building is now divided into different premises but its exterior remains to be appreciated. On an end of street site, the building has three façades, two of which are radically different from the strong art deco main front. The main front has a strong vertical emphasis surmounted by the large simple clock and with nice decorative panels between windows. The side façades have a more stripped classical feel but in more ‘moderne’ materials. The building is well maintained and in good condition.

During the troubles, the main shopping area around Royal Avenue was pedestrianised with security gates to prevent car-bombs. Sinclair’s was attacked on 12 July 1971 with an explosive device. As a consequence of the troubles, trade was much reduced, and the store closed in 1972. Grade B+ Listed.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com