1936 – City Hall, Cork
The City Hall was opened in 1936 and replaced the previous structure that was burned down on 11 September 1920. Designed by Jones and Kelly, it is a weak reintrepetation of Dublin’s National Concert Hall which is itself an interpretation of the Custom House by Gandon. While the length of the building along the waterfront is pleasing, the cupola seems rather small and timid for the design. The limestone like for so many of Cork’s buildings is from nearby Little Island.