Vancouver City Hall opened December 4, 1936 and was designated a heritage building in 1976. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Townley and Matheson, and built by the Carter-Halls-Aldinger Company. The $1 million construction cost was provided by a special bond issue. Built during the Depression, this landmark structure was both a make-work project and a symbol of the newly enlarged city. The city had recently underwent amalgamation with Point Grey and South Vancouver. The building’s style stands at a transitional point between the vertical, highly ornamented Art Deco style and the simpler, more horizontal Moderne.
Photograph Courtesy and Copyright of Derek Lepper – dereklepper.com