Architect: Sir Owen Williams
Sir Owen Williams impressive 1939 glass building on Great Ancoats Street in the Northern Quarter was a copy of its sister building on Fleet Street, London. It features typical Art Deco elements: rounded corners, setbacks and a simple contrasting clear and black glass curtain wall. The building was Grade II* listed on October 3, 1974, meaning that it is Manchester city centre’s only listed 1930s structure. The initial clients of the building, the Daily Express, left Manchester in the late 1980s, and it is now in uses as apartments.