Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1956 – Church of the Immaculate Conception, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son

belturbet_rc_lge

belturbet_rc2_lge

Unattractive church from the 1950s, designed by Simon Leonard of William H. Byrne & Son, Dublin. The building is described by the diocese as Hiberno-Romanesque but somehow seems to look more Peublo-Spanish. The weird minarette-like bell tower is very disconcerting against the skyline of this small Cavan town. Quite indictive of the conservation nature of the Irish Catholic hierarchy of the period.

Read previous post:
1904 – Post Office, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

Architect: Robert Cochrane An attractive and eclective small post office building from the early twenthieth century when many similar buildings...

Close