Architect: Reginald Fairlie
Located on George IV Bridge in Edinburgh is the main building of the National Library of Scotland, Scotland’s only copyright deposit library. A pre-war design, the foundations were laid and frame built by 1939, but the building was not finished until 1956. A high windowless frontage conceals the reading room and below the street are seven floors which provide storage for the books. The front is decorated by sculpture representing the arts and sciences by Hew Lorimer (1907-93).