1962 – Memorial Buildings, Ottawa, Ontario
Construction of the two edifices, originally called “Veterans Memorial Buildings”, began following the Second World War. In addition to honouring those who served and those who died in that war, the buildings would also house, under one roof, the employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs and the associated Agencies, who initially were housed in several locations in Ottawa.Work on the East Memorial Building began in 1949 and was completed in 1956. The West Memorial Building was completed in l962.
The Memorial Arch which connects the East and West Memorial Buildings, as they are now called, spans Lyon Street and bears the following inscription, taken from Ecclesiasticus: “All these were honoured in their generation and were the glory of their times”.