Vernon, Arthur (1846-)
In 1870, having finished his training with the architect E.B. Lamb, he succeeded his father as land agent to the Earl of Beaconsfield (the ennobled Benjamin Disraeli) at Hughenden, and was appointed JP in 1875. Elected a town councillor and alderman in 1870, he was elected to Buckinghamshire County Council at its inception in 1889 and appointed a magistrate for the county in 1895. Elected mayor of High Wycombe for the first time in 1882, he was mayor again in 1883, 1891, 1905 and 1906. He was president of the Chamber of Commerce from 1899 to 1906, a captain of Wycombe Fire Brigade from its founding in 1868 until 1881, and President of the Surveyors Institution in 1902-03. In between all this he found time to design very many buildings in the town besides the Grammar School , Priory Road School and The Temperance Hall in Flackwell Heath.