Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
July 8, 2009

Bodley & Garner

George Frederick Bodley formed a partnership with Thomas Garner which lasted from 1869 until 1897. George Frederick Bodley was born in Brighton on 14 March 1827, the son of a doctor who practised in Hull. He was the first pupil of Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878) from 1845 for five years, thereafter remaining with Scott as assistant until 1856, when he commenced independent practice. He travelled in Italy, Germany and France.

Thomas Garner was born on 12 August 1839 and also trained in the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott – though twelve years younger than Bodley – and entered into partnership with Bodley in 1869. His contribution to the partnership is often underrated. In his later years Bodley was superintendent architect of York Minster and Peterborough and Southwark Cathedrals and he had an international practice, designing the cathedral at Hobart, Tasmania and the National Cathedral, New York with his former assistant Henry Vaughan of Boston. He was awarded the Royal Gold Medal in 1899, the same year he was elected Fellow of the RIBA on 29 May, being proposed by Council. Bodley was elected ARA in 1882 and RA in 1899. Bodley died at Water Eaton on 21 October 1907. Garner had died on 30 April 1906.