Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast on World Monuments Fund list
The World Monuments Fund highlights sites in need of regeneration. Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church in Belfast has been derelict for 20 years despite its symbolic position between Catholic and Protestant communities has been named on its annual watchlist.. Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1875, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The sandstone and limestone exterior of the building was renovated in 1966, but the church ceased to be used as a place of worship by 1982, a consequence of the declining congregation and its location at a major interface between Catholic and Protestant populations. Previous plans to convert the church to public housing did not come to fruition. Now derelict for close to 20 years, Carlisle Memorial has suffered extensive physical degradation, and the need for action is at hand.
Despite its religious associations, the building is now perceived as neutral territory in a deeply polarized area and holds symbolic potential for North Belfast in particular and the city as a whole. This public perception and the church’s interface location lend credence to renewed proposals for the adaptive reuse of this shared heritage resource. Such a project would foster significant civic engagement with stakeholder communities and deepen the successes of the Northern Irish peace process.