Cattedrale San Martino, Lucca, Italy

Architect: Guido Bigarelli

cattedrale_san_martino_lge

Construction of the Romanesque Cathedral of St Martin in Lucca, Italy, was begun in 1063 by Bishop Anselm, later Pope Alexander II. Of this structure, the great apse with its tall columnar arcades and the fine campanile remain. The nave and transepts having been rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 14th century, while the west front was begun in 1204 by “Guidetto” (Guido Bigarelli of Como), and consists of a vast portico of three magnificent arches, and above them three ranges of open galleries enriched with sculpture.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com