Charles Davidson was born in Forfar and seems to have been an assistant to Peddie & Kinnear in Edinburgh but moved to Paisley in 1875 to work on their National Bank and Bank of Scotland commissions in St. Mirren Street. Davidson appears to have remained in Paisley and commenced independent practice there c.1880. He was still in practice in 1913-14 but does not appear in ‘Who’s Who in Architecture’, 1914. He died in February 1925. Davidson’s two sons took over the practice, the name of which became C Davidson & Son and it continued to work in Paisley.