Fowler, Charles Hodgson (1840-1910)
Fowler was a prolific English ecclesiastical architect who specialised in building and, especially, restoring churches He was born in Nottinghamshire. In the early 1860s, following an apprenticeship with Sir George Gilbert Scott, he commenced work in Pimlico, London, and became an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) in 1863. His proposers were Scott, E.W. Pugin and Matthew Digby Wyatt. In 1864, he moved to Durham, where he lived for the rest of his life. Fowler’s initial appointment in Durham was as Clerk of Works at Durham Cathedral. In 1870 he became a Fellow of the RIBA. At various times, he held the position of Architect to Rochester Cathedral and Lincoln Cathedral, and Architect to the Diocese of York and the Diocese of Lincoln. From 1885 to the time of his death, he was Architect to the Dean and Chapter of Durham, a post that had previously been held by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Almost all of Fowler’s work was done in four counties: County Durham, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.