Architect: Jacques Bougier
Constructed between 1624 and 1630, to designs by the sculptor-architect of Blois, Jacques Bougier, who was trained in the atelier of Salomon de Brosse, and whose design at Cheverny recalls features of the Palais du Luxembourg. The interiors were completed by 1650, employing craftsmen from Blois. During the next 150 years ownership passed through many hands, and in 1768 a major interior renovation was undertaken.
In 1914, the owner of Chateau de Cheverny opened the chateau to the public, one of the first to ever do so. The family still operates it, and Château Cheverny remains a top tourist attraction to this day, renowned for magnificent interior rooms and its collection of furniture, tapestries, and objets d’art.