Fitzgerald, Desmond (1910-1987)
Desmond Fitzgerald studied at University College Dublin. Very much known for one building – Dublin Airport at Collinstown (1937-1941), Fitzgerald was responsible for other buildings in the city – many of them reviled including O’Connell Bridge House and offices on St Stephens Green. He was responsible for teaching many of the leading Irish architects of today as he held the chair of Architecture at UCD from 1954-1973. His Dublin Airport is the most important pre-war building in Dublin and was designed and built in near secrecy with its facilities only formally disclosed after the Second World War. It is now usually accepted that much of the design was initiated by members of his staff of the time.