Smyth, Edward (1743-1823)

kingsinns_dininghall_doorway_lge

Edward Smyth was born in County Meath, and apprenticed to the sculptor Simon Vierpyl and subsequently by Hugh Darley the builder. Darley recommended him to James Gandon who cancelled work from Agostino Carlini and Thomas Banks in London. As a result Smyth carved many of the figures and riverine heads of the Custom House including Plenty and Industry, Commerce and the figures in the pedimented south front. Later he was to sculpt all the carving for the Four Courts and the King’s Inns. He was responsible for the additional sculptures added to the Parliament Building by Francis Johnston during its conversion to the Bank of Ireland.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com