1859 – Former Great Northern Railway Station, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan
Fantastic small stone Railway Station, which although has spent many years closed up, still has its platforms intact. Some railways buildings on the property have been converted to other uses, and a signal box restored. The building like many of the larger buildings in the village is built in a tudor gothic style. Designed by Alfred G.S. Clayton, a London architect.
“The accompanying Station has been erected from the design of Mr Alfred G.S. Clayton of London architect at Glaslough upon the Ulster Railway extension from Armagh to Monaghan. The style is late Gothic, it is built with hammer dressed masonry in courses with quoins and dressings of rubbed sandstone from the neighbouring quarries. The timber framing, barge boards, and woodwork throughout is of deal stained and varnished. The accommodation consists of two entrance porches leading into a general waiting hall covered with an open trussed roof, with waiting room for first and second class, and lady passengers with ticket office and covered shed. The cost with platforms retaining and boundary walls was about 1,300. The works were carried out by Mr William McCracken of Belfast contractor.