From The Architect, October 23, 1875: This fine old parish church stands upon elevated ground. From its tower, on a clear day, the sea at Hartlepool may be sighted – a distance of about 30 miles. Prior to its restoration, some years ago, it was whitewashed, and was frequently used by mariners at sea as a landmark. Happily this whitewash is now removed, the church is in good preservation, and characteristic of many other churches in that neighbourhood.
Adjacent to the church are the remains of Ravensworth Castle and distant about four miles is the celebrated Rokebv, in both of which places scenes are laid in Sir Walter Scott’s poems. Our illustration is from a drawing by Mr. Saul. P. Close, architect Belfast.