John Leeming (born 1849) and Joseph Leeming (born 1850) were sons of Alfred Leeming of Halifax and were articled to Charles Frederick Luke Horsfall in Halifax, the former in 1865 and the latter in 1866. At the end of their apprenticeships John was assistant to Adams and Kelly in Leeds, and Owen Edwards and Thomas William Helliwell in Brighouse between 1869 and 1872 and Joseph to Helliwell only between 1871 and 1872. In the latter year they commenced practice in Halifax and from 1877 onwards they were notably successful in local and national competitions, beginning with the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School and Board School in Halifax. In 1877 Richard Fielding Farrar (born 1860) was articled to the Leemings. He remained as assistant and then as chief assistant responsible for much of the design work of the practice and was credited by his son with the design of Kinloch Castle on Rhum. He was not offered a partnership and belatedly took the qualifying exam in 1902. He was admitted ARIBA on 1 December of the same year, his proposers being the Leemings and John Slater, and commenced practice on his own account in Leeds in 1904. Despite having a London office and being responsible for the Admiralty the Leemings themselves did not seek membership of the RIBA until 1901. Joesph was admitted FRIBA on 10 February and John on the 18th, their proposers being Sir John Taylor, John McKean Brydon and Sir Aston Webb. Joseph Leeming died in 1929; John on 21 April 1931; Farrar on 16 June 1948.