Apprenticed to H. V. and R.E. McCaughan of Belfast (1938-40) before working with John McGeagh. Joined the Works Branch of the Northern Ireland Ministry of Finance in 1942 and the Republic of Ireland Health and Local Government Hospitals Department in 1947. In 1948 he was appointed County Education Architect for the Londonderry Education Committee at Coleraine. Established the Dalzell and Campbell Partnership with Crofton Dalzell in 1961.