1878 – Presbytery & Industrial Schools, Booterstown, Co. Dublin
In Ireland the Industrial Schools Act of 1868 established industrial schools (Irish: scoileanna saothair) to care for “neglected, orphaned and abandoned children”. In recent times these schools have become notorious for the rampant sexual, physical and mental abuse that took place within their walls, often at the hands of members of the religious orders running them. This was built and run as St. Anne’s Industrial School for Girls.
“The presbytery is three storeys in height, and provides accommodation for two clergymen, with necessary servants’ apartments. It is being built for the Very Rev. Monsignor Forde, P.P., V.G. The materials used are red brick, with white and black bands. The schools (erecting for the Sisters of Mercy) will comprise one large infant school-room on ground floor 29 ft. by 49 ft., and class-room 19. ft by 24 ft. ; on upper floor one large school-room 30 ft. by 70 ft. At the rere of the schools, behind the chancel arch of church, will be a choir, to be occupied by the school children, so as to keep them distinct from the congregation. The tower, which is shown in our illustration, is in connection with this choir; it is constructed of memel, with green and blue slate roof and pitch-pine louvre boards.
The entire cost of the two buildings will be £4,000. The works were designed by, and are being carried out under the superintendence of, Mr. J.L. Robinson, architect.Mr. J. M. Cormack is the contractor. Our illustration is a reduction of the drawing on view in the Architectural Section of our Exhibition.” The Irish Builder, August 14 1872