Sir Thomas Newenham Deane (1828-1899) was born in Cork – his father was also a noted architect and educated at Trinity College Dublin. He joined his father’s practice in 1850 and was made a partner the following year along with Benjamin Woodward. The firm then developed a gothic style based on the naturalistic principles as laid down by John Ruskin. This was to result in the practice playing an important role in the gothic revival in England. Their two most important building were the Museum building at Trinity College (1854-57) and the Oxford Museum (1854-60) in England. They also designed the Kildare Street Club in Dublin – interiors now mainly destroyed. In later years after the death of Woodward, Deane continued to practice as an architect and formed a partnership with his son Thomas Manly Deane (T.M. Deane) in 1878. This practice was responsible for the design and building of the National Library and Museum complex beside Leinster House. He was knighted in 1890.