Apprenticed to R.M. Butler and studied at the Dublin Institute of Technology. Worked with J.J. Robinson until establishing partnership of Jones and Kelly with Alfred Jones in 1919. In their first year together they won the competition for the new Town Hall at Ballymena, and four years later won the competition for the new City Hall at Cork. President of the RIAI in 1947, in which year he was elected a Fellow of the RIBA.