One of the most prolific Brighton and Hove architects during the 19th century was Thomas Lainson who was based at North Street. Buildings he designed included the Vallance estate and Cliftonville Congregational Church. Lainson also designed the ornate and beautiful synagogue in Middle Street, the chapel at Bristol Road, houses in Norfolk Terrace and the New Club in King’s Road. Perhaps his best known building in Hove was Brooker Hall, designed as a private villa but later to become the town’s museum. Lainson was also responsible for the Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children which was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales in 1881. Lainson also built the fine warehouse in Holland Road known for many years as Pickfords. With his son, he designed a large number of homes especially in the Poets Corner area of Hove.