Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
October 19, 2009

Walker & Howitt

Samuel Dutton Walker formed a partnership with John Howitt (1851-1923), a former pupil, in 1879 and the early 1880s saw impressive examples of their work: shops on Derby Road for Pullman now the residential Regent Court (1880-84), shops and offices “˜Carlton Buildings’ on Carlton Street (1881) and the shops, offices and warehouses forming “˜King John’s Arcade’ on Bridlesmith Gate (1882). Howitt took over the practice after Walker’s death in 1885 and later produced several large office blocks, including Bentinck Buildings on Wheeler Gate and another on Milton Street turning into Trinity Square.

Leave a Reply