1942 – Westin Hotel, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Architect: McEnary & Krafft
Former bank and office accommodation (Farmer’s and Mechanic’s Savings Bank of Minneapolis) converted into an hotel. The banking hall exterior features some bold relief sculpture and crisply incised lettering. The sculptures were designed by Warren T. Mosman, who headed the sculpture department at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. The curtain walling of the offices is particulary attractive.
The hotel conversion preserved several historic features of the bank building. The main banking lobby with a 34-foot high ceiling, marble staircase, and carved wood emblems have been retained. The bank’s boardroom on the 10th floor, with floor-to-ceiling windows, is now a conference room. The original bank vault on the lower level is also a conference room, while the former safety deposit vault is now a wine vault and the entire bank has been made in to a restaurant.