William Hague (1840-1900)
Born in Cavan, Hague was a prominant church architect with his offices in Westland Row. Amongst his most prominent works are the Roman Catholic churches in Ballybay, Kingscourt, and the Archbishop’s Palace in Drumcondra, Dublin. He was also responsible for finishing SS Augustine and John in Thomas Street Dublin, and St Macartan’s Cathedral in Monaghan after the death of J.J. McCarthy. He also was responsible for the spire and tower of College Chapel, St Patrick’s, Maynooth (completed after his death in 1905) as well as the interior. Following his death, his partner T. F. McNamara took over most of his commissions under the fname of Hague & McNamara.