William Henry White (1862-1949)
William Henry White was born in Bristol on 23 December 1862 and was educated at Bristol Grammar School, later studying at Bristol School of Art. He was articled to W. Hartley Price from 1881 to 1884, and at the end of his apprenticeship spent a short time in the office of James, Seward & Thomas at Cardiff before moving to London in 1885. There he entered the office of George Sherrin, enabling him to study at the Royal College of Art and the South Kensington Schools. He moved to the office of Thomas Watson in 1886, becoming his chief assistant. He passed the RIBA Final Examination in 1887 and the District Surveyors’ Examination in 1889, and commenced practice on his own account in 1892 at Vere Street, Oxford Street, moving two years later to 14a Cavendish Place, Cavendish Square, which remained his address until the time of his death on 17 December 1949. His practice was continued by two of his sons, who had been taken into partnership in 1928 as W Henry White & Sons. His work consisted mainly of town and country domestic work, and hotels, offices, business premises and shops in London, particularly in the West End.