1285 – St Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny
The cathedral was built between 1202 and 1285 in an early English Gothic style out of the local limestone. Over the centuries, it has been restored and renovated many times notably by Sir Thomas Newemham Deane in 1863.
The round tower beside the cathedral is believed to have been built around 849 and is around 100 feet tall. It is missing the usual distinctive conical cap but has a viewing platform for the public to view the city and countryside.
The cathedral has a magnificent atmospheric interior in beautiful condition and obviously lovingly cared for.