The walled area of medieval Drogheda enclosed 113 acres making it one of the largest walled towns in medieval Ireland. The walls were completed in 1334. It was comparable in size to Dublin, Kilkenny, Bristol and Oxford. The area enclosed on the south side was 33 acres and on the north side it was 80 acres. Very little of the original walls now survive, except for a portion beside St Mary’s Church of Ireland and another piece at St Laurence’s Gate (pictured).