From 1525 to 1802 Kempten was divided into two parts: a Protestant Reichsstadt (free imperial city) and a Catholic Fürststift (Benedictine abbey). The former quarter, whose center was occupied by the Church of St. Mang, was independent of the larger Fürststift. St. Mang Kirche has a simple exterior. Internally it is not as ornate as the Roman Catholic churches in Kempten but the white finish gives it an air of simplicity and also serves to brighten up what is quite a dark interior. the interior has been decorated with some Rococo plasterwork to break up the surfaces of the walls and ceiling.