In 1708, an act of parliament was passed which divided the parish of St. Nicholas Without and giving part of it the denomination of St. Luke’s. A Glebe House was erected on The Coombe for the vicar, who was nominated by the Chapter of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and the church of St. Luke erected nearby, probably designed by Thomas Burgh then Surveyor General. Described in 1837, “The church, erected in 1708, when the parish, which had been a part of that of St. Nicholas, was formed, is approached by an avenue of trees from the Coombe, and. is a plain structure entered by a large doorway between rusticated columns: it was re-rooted in 1835 by a grant of £1029. 13. 6. from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.”
The church was closed in 1975. It was burned by an arsonist in 1986. It is in the ownership of Dublin City Council and is listed for conservation by the Council.