Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1750 – Dominick Street, Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

no23_doorway_lge

no31_doorway_lgeno40_doorway_lgeno40_doorway_lgeno40_doorway_lge

This was developed by the Dominick family in the 1750s and for a time was very fashionable with some fine house being developed. The street went into terminal decline after the Act of Union and most of the houses had become slums before Dublin Corporation flats replaced them. William Rowan Hamilton (1805-65), the mathematician and inventor of quaternions was born in No.36, while the writer Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (1814-73) was born at No.45, and Arthur Griffith (1871-1922) was born in No.4.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

More in Architecture of Dublin City
2008 – East Wall Community Centre, Dublin

Architect: O'Donnell + Tuomey Architects The Sean O'Casey centre, which has been in operation for 23 years, has been rebuilt and extended as part of a €9 million plan part-funded...

Close