Aras an Uachtarain is the Official Residence of the President of Ireland, and was formerly the Viceregal Lodge until independence in 1922. The original house was built by Park Ranger Nathaniel Clements in 1751. In 1782 it had been acquired for use by the Viceroys who oversaw British rule in Ireland, with Nataniel Clements receiving £25,000 for the house. In 1938 it became the Official Residence of the President of Ireland and has been used for that purpose since.
In the 1840s formal gardens were designed and laid out by Decimus Burton. Over the years, many improvements have been made during visits of the reigning monarch, notably the addition of the East Wing in 1849 for the state visit of Queen Victoria; and the extension of the West Wing for the visit of George V in 1911.
The main gates lead out into Chesterfield Avenue at the Phoenix Monument. There are numerous other gateways into the grounds including this one (above) which opens beside the extended zoo.