1761 – Tholsel, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny

tholsel_exterior_nth_lge

tholsel_exterior_sth_lge

The name “Tholsel” is derived from two old English words: “toll”, meaning tax; and “sael”, or hall, the place where tolls were paid. In the middle ages it served as court house, custom-house, guildhall and a meeting place for merchants. The building has a fine and very visible lantern clock tower sited above the double five arch arcade at ground level which was used as a covered market place.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com