1807 – Grand Canal Hotel, Portobello, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Colbourne



The hotel was one of five operated between Dublin and the Shannon and opened in 1807 and operated until 1860 despite passenger services being stopped in 1852. Sited beside the former Portobello basin (now filled in), this is a simple classical building with nice proportions. The hotel was later converted into a nursing home where the artist Jack B. Yeats spent his last years.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com