1819 – Courthouse, Dundalk, Co. Louth
Designed by Edward Park and supposedly based on the portico design and dimensions of the Temple of Theseus in Athens, Dundalk Courthouse is a fabulous classical revival building. Its main façade is dramatic, the absence of openings save for the entrance within the solidly imposing portico makes for a stern and forbidding face. The lack of any figurative sculpture of carving on the pediment only heightens the building’s wonderful starkness. Every Irish town should have a courthouse as fine as this one.
In 2003, the building reopened after a refurbishment and extension. The re-modeled building contains four courtrooms, including a family law court and modern office accommodation. One of the new courtrooms is situated in the old council chamber. Also provided are waiting and conference facilities with a particular emphasis on the privacy of those seeking redress in family law situations.