1824 – St. Joseph’s Square, Maynooth College, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
Maynooth College was founded in 1795 as a seminary for the education of priests. The College opened in the autumn of 1795 in a house recently built by John Stoyte, steward of the Duke of Leinster. Though heavily remodelled in the 1950s, it is still distinguishable and still known as Stoyte House. A long wing was run out from Stoyte House, called Long Corridor. It was begun in 1798. The north side was completed in 1809 and called New House. The south side of what was now beginning to look like a square was completed between 1822 and 1824. St. Joseph’s Square has character, despite questionable refurbishment.