Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1840 – St. Mary’s Church, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

church_lge

church_doorway_lgechurch_doorway_lgechurch_interior_lgechurch_interior_lge

Work stated in 1834 on a new parish church for Maynooth and in 1840 the new parish church of St. Mary’s was consecrated. The Freeman’s journal described the ‘beautiful edifice… of the purest style of Gothic architecture, built in the usual form of a cross, with a handsome belfry over the principal entrance.’ The high alter carved in Gothic design in Austrian oak, was imported from Munich by Archdeacon John O’Rourke, who was parish priest from 1869 to 1887. The tower was added by J.J. McCarthy in 1862.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

 

Read previous post:
1851 – St. Patrick’s Seminary, Maynooth, Co. Kildare

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin To appease the Irish bishops after the foundation of the three "godless" colleges in Dublin,...

Close